Thursday, May 28, 2009

Right of Spring -- poison ivy....

If you've never had poison ivy on your face consider yourself lucky. Somewhere out in my backyard I have come in contact with the dreaded weed. Man does it ever itch!!!! My doctor sent some medicine so maybe it won't last so long.

While I worked at Leola's yesterday, I took some pictures. We're doing some red, white & blue now with summer is upon us. We're planning a big tag sale in front of the shop for Saturday, June 6. Everyone is cleaning out their garages & getting rid of a lot of "stuff" so we can go buy more "stuff". Isn't that the game we play? So plan on coming on the 6th for some really great bargains.

I love, love, love this table. It's an old table with tin on top. How about that little bathtub?





This is some of Kristi's jewelry. She has some wonderful pieces in right now.


OK! Guess I'd better go put some medicine on before I start scratching again. Oh, misery!!! Pardon me while I feel sorry for myself. It might help too if it would quit raining and the sun would come out. Whine, whine, whine!!!!



4 comments:

Mindy said...

No! You don't want the sun to shine, Jan. It will make your face itch worse. I have a reaction to the stuff with the blow of the wind in my direction. And I am far more pathetic and need so much more sympathy and anti-psychotics than you can imagine! haha Hope it goes away fast. And hope the tag sale goes well! ~Mindy

David said...

Sorry about the PI, Jan. Mindy and I get into that sometimes when we're geocaching. So I read up on it a bit and one old forester's trick is to spray yourself down with some cheap antiperspirant before you go out. Supposedly, the active ingredient, aluminum chlorohydrate, reacts with the urushiol oil from the poison ivy (that's the stuff that makes you itch) and keeps it from irritating your skin. I can't swear that it works. (How would one really know?) But we spray it on when we think there's a good chance we'll come in contact with PI. There's also some stuff that can be used to wash off the oil after you come in contact with it, but before the outbreak. But I can't remember the name of it right now.

Anneliese said...

Hi Jan,
I'm happy to help you with any questions on the jam. I have never tried the inverted method with jam, but if htat is a method that you have used and feel comfortable with, that should be fine. I have not had a problem with them sealing, as long as the jars are hot(take them out of the oven one at a time ) the jam is hot and the seals are hot. They all pop and seal. The reason I like to freeze or refrigerate mine is because the taste stays fresher. (way fresher) You could just cook up one or two small batches. .. maybe 12 1 cup jars -they don't take a lot of room and try that. I don't know if you can get certo light where you live, when I cook at my daughter's in CA I've used regular pectin and used the whole box for about 10 cups berries and 7 cups sugar. Following the same directions, bring to hard boil with pectin and a little sugar, bring to second hard boil on high heat,and cook for 2 minutes, stirring all the time. I think this makes about 15 jars. (cups)All the best! Let me know if it turns out.

Anneliese said...

Hi again, Just so you know . . . certo light pectin is made to thicken with less sugar, so if you use regular pectin - that's ok - just use a little more, especially if you don't want the jam to be too runny... maybe 3-4 Tbsp pectin for 6 cups berries. (I've played with mine to get it to the consistency we like0 You can cook one small recipe, refrigerate it and see if you like the consistency. Adjust next time, if you need to.