Friday, July 30, 2010

Dinner from the garden.....

The garden is so productive right now -- thanks to all the rain.  Of course, the weeds are loving it too.  I have 3 different kinds of green beans.  One is the yard long variety.  Some of these had dried up so I popped the beans out & threw them in.  They were so good.

My mom used to cook green beans all day on the stove but we've found the flavor and nutrition is so much better if you don't cook them to death.  She used to also put in a ton of bacon grease which I don't do.  First of all, I saute about 3 of my garden onions (they're not very large) in a little butter and olive oil.  They I add a couple cloves of garlic & salt & pepper.  They cook slowly (so they won't burn) until translucent.  Then I throw in my green beans & add a box of low sodium chicken broth and enough water to cover.  I cook them for probably 30 min. & turn them off & let them set for at least an hour on the stove.  It's like they soak up all those great flavors.  Then reheat when ready to serve. 

Since I had cut herbs (sage, thyme, basil) I tied a bunch together & let it lay on the top of this pot.

I think my favorite thing to eat in the summertime is bruschetta.  We have Panera Bread in Springfield & they make an asiago cheese bread that is so good.  I toast it in the oven with olive oil & a little garlic then after it toasts I sprinkle it with an Italian cheese.  You chop your tomatoes, garlic and a little onion then mix with olive oil, a little balsamic vinegar, salt, pepper & chopped basil.  Serve on top of the bread & serve with your green beans.  What a great dinner!

It appears the Japanese beetles have left town.  They have really been bad this year so next year I'm going to try treating my yard since they come up out of the earth.  We'll see what happens.  I'll probably then get all my neighbors.

Have a great weekend & don't forget the garage sale at Linda's farm.  The address is in the post from last week.  They should have tons of good stuff at great prices. 

2 comments:

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

Mmmm -- sounds delish! We are having fresh corn and green beans tonite at my cousin's place. Hope you are having a great weekend. :) Tammy

Ragamuffin Gal said...

Omygoodness Jan!!!
Those photos look so delectable ~ like they were right out of Mary Jane Butter's magazine! That garden is sure paying off! On another note, Mark and I laughed until we cried about your comment on our anniversary! You don't know how close to getting all of them right you were! (not the convertible one tho~ shucks!) Love you ~ Happy Week!!!!