Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Rhubarb cake......


My garden is looking sooooo excellent. My zucchini and eggplant that I planted in my front flower bed is really doing well. Apparently the squash beetles have not figured it out yet that I pulled a fast one on them . The big yellow flowers look great with all the green in those beds.

My rhubarb finally got big enough to pick so I made my rhubarb cake that my family loves so much. It is a really easy recipe and the top just has cinnamon & sugar so no icing. It's actually very good as a coffee cake for breakfast.

This recipe came from Nona McGee, one of my mother's cousins, but we always thought of her as an aunt. She was such a sweet lady and always loved talking to me about gardens, cooking and sharing recipes. Most people don't think they like rhubarb but if you try this recipe, you'll change your mind.

RHUBARB CAKE (350 degrees for 40 - 50 min.)
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
1/2 cup soft butter
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla
1 cup buttermilk (you can add 2 tsp. vinegar to 1 cup milk & let set for 3 min.
2 cups flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp soda
1 1/2 cups chopped rhubarb

Sift dry ingredients and set aside. Mix brown sugar with butter until well mixed, add egg and vanilla. Alternately add buttermilk and flour until thoroughly mixed then fold in rhubarb. Mix together 1/4 cup sugar with 1 tsp. cinnamon. Spread cake batter in 9 x 13 inch cake pan & sprinkle sugar/cinnamon on top. Bake 40 to 50 minutes. Enjoy.

4 comments:

A Wild Thing said...

Yippee...road trip!!!
I'll be stopping by Sisters Friday morning, then on to the shop...have a great time if I don't see ya, her shop is full and looks awesome...happy shoppin'...

sharon

David said...

I don't think I even know what a rhubarb looks like.

ShabbySheep said...

Can I buy rhubarb at that Fassnight Creek Farms across from Wickmans Gardens? Or can you just get it at the grocery store. I MUST bake that cake tomorrow. My grandmother had a recipe for a rhubarb upside down cake and it was so sweet and good. What a great cake for this time of year. Thanks for the recipe.

A Wild Thing said...

We're like 20 minutes from Sisters, super easy to find...email me and I'll send ya directions, I'll be there all day Saturday(10-5) and Friday afternoon(12-5)...
skwilson@machlink.com

Hope to see ya!!!